[squid-users] Squid performance issue [again]

From: Lizzy Dizzy <lizzy_99@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:17:19 +0000

Hi,

I understand that the size of the physical RAM has to be proportional to the
total harddisk cache size. Supposing I have

unlimited physical RAM,

1) What is the recommended size of 1 physical harddisk for each server (each
server can have sda, sdb etc...). The reason I

am asking this is that I am concern that the bigger a disk is, the longer
squid needs to get an object out of it.

I am currently using a U320 SCSI disk of 10KRPM, size 73GB. It is being
partitioned into 4 smaller partition of 17GB each.

Performace is within expectation, but I am wondering if reparttioning it
into smaller sizes would give better yield. On the

other hand, the disk has a fixed number of head, so would it even help?

2) In term of performance only, is a 100GB harddisk better (partitioned into
5 20GB partitioned) or 5 20GB harddisks better.

Thanks
Liz

Find it on the web with MSN Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/