[squid-users] Chain NTLM Auth on Squid and on Apache web server

From: CHARREAU Anthony <anthony.Charreau@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:18:10 +0200

Hi everybody,

I have got a problem with Squid NTLM feature and it is a bit strange, be advise :-)

I am setting a proxy / cache platform based on squid with NTLM auth feature.
This platform includes an Apache web server to show access statistics to users.

The problem occurred when I try to gain access to my Apache stats page through Squid.
If I try to see a Internet or Intranet website without NTLM auth through Squid, who always auth users with NTLM, it works fine.
If I try to go to my stats page directly (including proxy bypassing), it works fine too.

So, Apache alone works fine, squid alone works fine, but when I try to chain both, it fails.
I done a network packet capture, and I have seen that the error page that client browser shows contains exactly the same headers (with ntlm auth required tag) as the page that apache returns when I bypass the proxy.

So, it seems that client doesn't answer to the ntlm auth required when I pass through squid and simply shows the error page.

Have you got any idea to solve this strange problem ?
Thanks in advance.

                        ////
                       (@ @)

Anthony CHARREAU