Re: [squid-users] squid : Solaris vs Linux

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 02:43:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Hement Gopal wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Our institution may be getting a dual processor (2 x 1GB procs) SunFire
> V210 server (2Gb RAM), 2 x 32 Gb drives
>
> We are currently running squid on an Intel based Redhat platform...and
> its running great.
>
> I was just wondering what the performance would be like on the Solaris
> vs Linux as far as the OS is concerned.

the second second cpu won't do much if anything for you as far as squid
goes...

Even async ufs with logging on another drive won't touch the performance
of reiserfs 3 or 4 or jfs on the linux box, though if you're using ext3
currently it may be comparable.

more disk spindles would be better than a second cpu. I've never figured
out why sun can't manage to get more than two disks in a 1u ultrasparc
box.

> Any benchmark testing results out there?

I don't have any numbers for recent ultrasparcs running squid, ours are
doing database realted tasks.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu