RE: [squid-users] Squid Caching and Second Proxy Server

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:26:49 +0200

> We currently have 40 odd computers on our network which are
> connected to the
> outside world using a 64k ISDN (ADSL and other technology is not yet
> available).
>
> Our business uses a offsite proxy server (which I do not have
> access to) to
> handle outside web requests. Each user is given a
> username/password to use
> this proxy server.
>
> Because of our slow internet connection, I would like to implement a
> web-cache system onsite. To do this I would need squid to
> cache pages (which
> is easy to do) but if the page is not cached, I require squid
> to request the
> page thru our outside proxy server using the users username/password.
>
> Can this be done using squid?

  You can define the needed parent in your 'local' squid as in :

     cache_peer parent.foo.net parent parent_port icp_port login=user:password

  You will need only one working username/pw combination to access your offsite
  proxy server.

  If the offsite proxy server does not support ICP then use

cache_peer parent.foo.net parent parent_port icp_port login=user:password no-query

  See comments in on cache_peer in squid.conf.default for more details.

  M.