[squid-users] Re: One squid box, multiple proxies - suggestions?

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:52:20 -0400

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> I'd like to use squid to

> (a) change or remove some of the header information that's gratuitously
> entered by some browser paths

"Can Squid anonymize HTTP requests?"

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-4.html#ss4.18

That should get you started.

> (b) to direct which proxying firewall I want to use.

> The considerations for the latter are:

> - some users will be coming from anywhere [corporate network,
> dial-in, other VPNs], but will want to select one particular
> firewall that does things they way they like it, and we need
> to accommodate those customers

This can be done in the client browser settings.

> - some users' organizations have stated a preference for
> certain firewalls, and so we need to accommodate those
> customers

This can either be done in the client browser settings or using source IP
addresses in a proxy autoconfig script.

> - some URLs' hosts are "closest" on the public Internet to one
> or another firewall, and so we'd like to use that firewall
> for those hosts, in the absence of a clearly stated request

This can be done inside a proxy autoconfig script.

> - some firewalls are equivalent, and in the absence of any
> other consideration, we'd like to pass queries around.

Use round-robin DNS or policy routing.

I don't see anything for (b) that requires Squid.

Adam