[squid-users] Re: hardware requirements

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:38:12 -0400

deborha malka wrote:

> I wanted to know whta are the hardware requirements
> for the squid proxy for about 200 PCs and a traffic of
> 2Mb/s ?

The biggest issue here will be the disks. Get fast SCSI disks (U160 or
U320), and if possible put the cache on its own disk.

For RAM, figure 192 MB of RAM for the OS, however much RAM you want Squid to
use to cache hot objects in memory, plus about 10 MB for every GB of cache
you want to keep on disk. Yes, the amount for the OS is probably overkill,
but given how cheap memory is now, better to have too much than not enough.

For processors, anything over 1 GHz should be fine. Modern processors are so
blazingly fast that bottlenecks are almost always somewhere else.

> An whiche OS is better ? Debian or OpenBSD ?

Choose the OS you are most comfortable with. However, if you are most
comfortable with a BSD flavor, I would suggest using FreeBSD or NetBSD
instead of OpenBSD - OpenBSD has been shown to have scalability issues.

In this application the performance differences between Linux and the BSDs
will be largely unnoticable compared to the limits of disk performance.

Adam