[squid-users] Re: using blacklist file (was: hardware requirements)

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:48:31 -0400

Please don't post a question by replying to someone else's message. Doing so
ruins threading, makes the archives harder to read, and list members who
are ignoring that thread will not notice your question. Instead, post a new
message (with its own subject) to the list.

Flavio Borup wrote:

> I have a .TXT file with aprox =~ 1.7 MB of denied URLs
> The denied URLs .TXT were imported from MS ISA Server Web-Cache-Firewall
> solution The .TXT have one URL per line, sometimes in the format:
> domain.tld, but sometimes in the format *.domain.tld

> Question 1) Can i use the .TXT as BlackList in Squid ?

Yes. Use the dstdomain acl type and enclose the full path to the file in
quotes. I believe this is described in the default squid.conf.

> Question 2) A huge file like that can impose severe restrictions in
> performance? (Pentium III, 128 RAM, IDE 5.200 RPM disk)

Large numbers of regex-style acls can hamper Squid's performance. I do not
believe that dstdomain acls have the same effect.

With your hardware, your proxy will bottleneck on disk I/O before it
bottlenecks on a large number of dstdomain acls.

Adam