[squid-users] purging cache dir

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:12:19 +0200

Hello list,

is there a possibility to clean the cache from all stale objects manually?
I know that squid evicts objects from the cache as sson as the low water
mark is reached (90 % default).

My problem is that as soon as this starts during normal daytime
operation the load increases and the proxy perfomance drops.

I think this is most certainly an I/O problem (Intel 2.4GHz, 2x38GB
SCSI) but I wonder if I could instead of adding more disks (server is
full) use the night to clean the cache from all the stale objects. My
system is mostly idle at night except backup (not the cache disks...).

It should be possible to lower the low water mark to say 70%, but this
would mean changing the squid.conf every night and reloading - to scary
for me.
Lowering the low water mark would also not only purge stale objects if
it is needed to reach that lowered mark.

Any suggestions (except get more disks :-) ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Hendrik.