RE: [squid-users] Proxy.pac and DIRECT (not using the Proxy)

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:43:12 +0200

> Squid 3 :
> We have to authenticate all users - but some websites
> shoult be FREE (without login).
>
> I put a DIRECT-Line for such Websites in our proxy.pac.
> It works, but some pages include some HTML-Code from
> other Sites - which are not free. So the user has to
> authenticate the comercial banner.
>
> How can i tell to my IE not to use the Proxy for the whole
> Website ?
>
> I think it is not possible ..., perhaps somebody knows ..

  Your web access viewpoints are somewhat 'bended' ; basically
as you formulate the problem here everyone seemingly could bypass
squid by not using or de-configuring proxy.pac in the browser.
If the user does that then I guess everyone has FREE web access, which
I seem to conclude from your setup.

Since that is probably not what you intend, you can accomplish this
by using combined acl's in the squid configuration to specify which users
can access a list of websites (for instance).

Check the SQUID FAQ on Access Controls for more info and examples.

M.