Re: [squid-users] Intermittent High Utilization

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:42:05 +0200

>>You wrote something about ICP disabled, but you have
>>2004/06/01 10:50:48| Accepting ICP messages at >0.0.0.0, port 3130, FD
>>in your log. Do you really need cache digest?
>

> Yes I noticed that, I have sinced disabled ICP and SNMP , but it did not resolve the utilization spikes.

I did not expect that to make a difference, I just thought I should
mention the difference between the post and the log - just in case.

I am monitoring squid with snmp/mrtg, it helps a lot when looking at
perfomance issues.

>>I am not familiar how dansguardian interacts with >squid, but if you had
>>the same setup running fine on another distro, >probably the suse rpm is
>>to blame.
>>IMHO suse professional is a distro build for easy use >on workstations. I
>>had some really funny experiences with suse pro... For >servers we have
>>switched over to SLES or debian depending on the >purpose.
>

> I originally wanted SLES, however, we really want Kernel 2.6 and the new version of SLES with 2.6 is not out currently.
Hmmm, have you tried if the problem persists with a 2.4.x-Kernel? I am a
bit conservative when it comes to "new & improved" releases.

>>Probably you should try to build your own squid from >source?
>
> I was afraid of that.. too bad as I was hoping I woudln't have to package my own RPMS anymore. Thanks anyways oh and while I'm at it should I use diskd instead of UFS? Thanks for your help.
For testing I would use no SRPM, but the sources from
http://www.squid-cache.org/ and
./configure --with-a-lot-of-funny-options
make
make install

If you decide to deploy this build into production you can build the RPM
later on.

Recommendation by this list for linux is aufs as I learned a couple of
day ago. Use reiserfs for the cache-partitions, but you may be using
reiserfs already if you are on suse...