[squid-users] Re: squid user quotas

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:19:19 -0400

Gert Brits wrote:

> I would like to know if either SQUID or a 3rd party program can run a
> quota system for squid. What I need to do is limit all the users using
> squid to brows. Let say I have 50 users on a network, and I want to limit
> the users only to have a 100 MB limit every month. Once they reach their
> limit, they should be blocked or what ever.

Squid does not have this capability, but it can be done fairly easily with a
2-part system. One part tails the access.log and updates some sort of
database; the second part is an external_acl helper that checks this
database and allows/rejects requests as needed.

This has been discussed before; check the archives for more info.

Adam