RE: [squid-users] Hardware Requirements

From: Hermann Strassner <hermann.strassner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:05:48 +0200

If I have 100 users using the internet and i want to setup squid proxy,
then

* What should be my Hardware Requirements (System speed,RAM,disk
space)?
* If the all the users are using the internet, then at the maximum how
much
requests, they will be generating per second?

How should someone know this?
This depends on what they do in the Internet, how fast the connection is
and much more.

* How much memory should I allocate for the squid to handle all these
requests?

You should allocate as much memrory as you need for the cache and a
little bit more.

Every normal hardware should be sufficient for 100 users.
Buy a normal PC, if you think you need fast proxy go and buy a pc with
two fast scsi disks.
For beginnig try with a cache of 10 GB and 512 MB of memory, if that
machine does not more than just squid. The memory depends on the size of
the cache, not on the traffic.

Then install squid, use squid and after 1 or 2 or 3 days take a look at
the cache and the counters and adjust it.

Hermann