Re: [squid-users] Denying specific browser clients from using Squid

From: Muthukumar <kmuthu_gct@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:56:52 +0530

> What I would like to do is ban certain browser clients (specifically
> Internet Explorer) from using the squid proxy,

We can do it by using the browser acl's type. They are using user-agent header to retrieve the browser types.
For mozila client it is,MOZILA . I am not known the keyword for I. explorer. May be IE?!

---- squid.conf setting ----
acl client_type browse ...
http_access deny client_type

> a secondary aim would be
> to redirect them to a page telling them to use a different client.

There is a directory as "errors". It will contain some example error messages. You can write your own message.
To give the error message to specify as "Use a different client as like ...", use the deny_info TAG.

---- squid.conf setting ----
deny_info <ERROR_MESSAGE> client_type

> Can someone direct me to some good documentation on how to do this?

I hope http://www.clavister.com/support/kb/10026/ is good for this requirement.

Regards,
Muthukumar.

---