[squid-users] Connection Refused in a Very Basic Set Up -- Now What?

From: Lucinda <marketwatcher63@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:01:21 -0700 (PDT)

I changed the conf file to this, which I think should
work (I got the
IP address from LISaDaemon):

INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR
CLIENTS

# Example rule allowing access from your local
networks. Adapt
# to list your (internal) IP networks from where
browsing should
# be allowed
acl our_networks src 192.168.0.0/24
http_access allow our_networks

# And finally deny all other access to this proxy
http_access deny all

I set the http_port to 8080 and then configured
firefox as follows:

HTTP Proxy : 127.0.0.1 Port: 8080
SSL Proxy : 127.0.0.1 Port :8080

and there is no proxy for localhost, 127.0.0.1

Squid is running fine. When I try to open a web page,
I now get a
message that says "The connection was refused when
attempting to
contact the proxy server you have configured. Please
check your proxy
settings and try again."

I am also running a firewall script as follows, could
this be part of
the problem?

#!/bin/bash
#
# Basic script to keep the nasties out of slack-lap
# First we make the default policy to drop everything
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
# Allow established connections and programs that use
loopback
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED
-j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s 127.0.0.0/8 -d 127.0.0.0/8 -i lo
-j ACCEPT
# Lets allow ssh to connect
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
#end script

I am really new to linux and I find this networking
stuff a bit
confusing..but I'm learning..., so please bear with
me!

Thanks,
Lucinda