[squid-users] IE search from address bar + Squid

From: David Rippel <RippelD@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:45:29 -0400

Greetings -

I recently had a user complain that when they would type a search term (like dell instead of www.dell.com) in their address bar that squid would return an error page stating that it was an invalid URL instead of IE going to the MSN search page. Upon further investigation I found that IE will only return the search page if the proxy server sends a 502 - bad gateway error, but not a 503 - service unavailable error (the default squid behavior).

To correct this I modified forward.c and changed the following:

err = errorCon(ERR_DNS_FAIL, HTTP_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE);

err = errorCon(ERR_DNS_FAIL, HTTP_BAD_GATEWAY);

IE will now go to the search page if a user enters an invalid hostname in the URL (and has the search functionality enabled). I'm not sure if this change will ever make it into the squid stable branch but it's worth noting that most commercial proxy servers return a 502 error in this situation.

Thanks,
David