Re: [squid-users] website access list

From: Billy Macdonald <whmac33@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:26:35 -0700

Khawar Nehal wrote:

> How about asking the users to save their password in their browser.
>
> Then they shall not have to reenter or remember it.

>>> type it in

>>> You can use the MAC address of every machine to give the access to
>>> them.
>>> But you to recompile the squid with --enable-arp-acl option.
>>>
>>> Check more at
>>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-10.html#ss10.20
>>>

>> The disadvantage about that is that SQUID can only know MAC addresses
>> from clients on the same subnet.
>> NTLM authentication could be used which does not require users to enter
>> their password (again) when using SQUID.
>>
>> M.

If you have DDNS in place then log-fqdn might be an option. I haven't
messed with it much.

Another option is on Windows DNS there is an option I think to forward
unresolved addresses to WINS. Combined with the log-fqdn this may work
as well.

And as a final option I would add that if you are using Internet
Explorer NTLM authentication is a possibility. That is passed
automatically from the browser to the proxy without user input. This is
our solution where I work.

Billy