[squid-users] Re: Re: Squid in no cache mode

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:42:44 -0400

Please don't top post - it makes the discussion harder to follow.

Deepa D wrote:
> --- Adam Aube <aaube01@baker.edu> wrote:
>> Deepa D wrote:

>>> I am running squid-2.5.STABLE5 in the "no cache" mode.

>>> I have done some tests and find that the response times are quite
>>> high(averaging to about 16secs per request but goes upto even 1.5
>>> mins in a few cases).

>>> I have logged the squid times from the access.log file and notice that
>>> squid's times are the major contributor to this.

>> Could you give us some info on your hardware, your system setup, and your
>> squid.conf (without blank lines or comments)?

> The h/w and system config is as follows :-
> X86 Intel Processor : > 1.7Ghx
> Memory : 256 MB DDR RAM
> Swap : 512 MB
> 800 MHz FSB
> HDD : 40GB
> RedHat Linux 8, Kernel : 2.4.18-14
> Squid: 2.5.STABLE5 with redirector
> Configure options : --enable-storeio=null
> --enable-linux-netfilter

> We have a web server with many applications, an email client besides
> squid running on the system.

> The redirector communicates with a remote server/ local cache and
> determines the category of the url, which in turn is checked with a local
> database bfr the response is returned back to squid.

> After analysing many tests's results we have come to the conclusion that
> the redirector is consuming around 16% of the total response time.

> I am unable to attach the squid.conf file. The main options that I have
> changed are as follows :-

> cache_dir null /usr/local/squid/var
> redirect_program
> /usr/local/proj/cfilter/cfserver/cf_client
> redirect_children 5
> redirect_rewrites_host_header off
> half_closed_clients off
> httpd_accel_host virtual
> httpd_accel_port 80
> httpd_accel_with_proxy on
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
> logfile_rotate 0

Is this a transparent proxy? I've noticed that transparent proxying
introduces a delay in serving pages (though I'm not sure why). If it is,
try configuring a client to use the proxy directly and see if performance
increases for that client.

Have you checked using vmstat and similar to see if the system is
bottlenecking, and if so, where?

What type and speed of network connection do you have? Could this be the
bottleneck?

Adam