Re: [squid-users] Re: gzip

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 03:39:46 -0500

> Also Swell Technology claims to have such a patch up for ransom. Does
> > anyone know if their patch is for real and if it works as I described
> > above?
> >
> > No idea - never heard of the company. I don't know how much they're
> > charging, but rather than purchasing that, you (and others who are
> > interested) could instead invest the money in sponsoring a Squid developer
> > to implement it in Squid proper.

> They claim the patch works great and they haven't released it yet b/c
> squid 3.0 is in feature freeze. One of the engineers there told me they
> are going to release it under the GPL once Squid 3.1 begins.

> But they are asking for $400 to gain access to the pre-release patch.
>
> http://swelltech.com/squidgzip/
>
> So in theory it already exist and will be apart of Squid 3.1 very soon
> but who knows if these guys are for real. I was really hoping people on
> this list would know who they were...

I don't think Joe Cooper will mind my saying some of what I know on the
list.

Swell Technologies, in concert with a partner, do, in fact, have a
gzip/deflate content-encoding implementation at an advanced stage.
I'm using it right now for my browsing. I recommend contacting Joe
for more information.

Note that Swell did, in fact, sponsor a Squid developer to implement
it in Squid and eventually get it into the trunk. They were kind
enough to hire me to do it. Although I certainly have a conflict of
interest on commenting on it, I think their "ransom" system is rather
good for the Squid community, because it creates a market for
expensive Squid developments while spreading out the investment and
risk over several interested parties. And this was a fairly
complicated change, a little expensive for a single pocket, given the
as-yet weak recovery of the caching market. It will have many
benefactors, way beyond the community that actually pays for it. This
kind of ransom system can get widely desired Squid developments in the
field alot faster if well-supported by the community.
Jon Kay pushcache.com - "push done right"
             Squid consulting / installation