[squid-users] Re: Encrypted traffic with proxy server?

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:31:16 -0400

Rick Whitley wrote:

> We would like to encrypt all network traffic on the segment our proxy
> server is on. Will a proxy server work with enctypted traffic. If I am
> asking this wrong please forgive me. We would like to remove the ability
> for users on this segment to sniff packetts.

Squid supports encrypted connections to clients (use the --enable-ssl
configure option), but to date no known browser supports encrypted
connections to proxy servers.

You could use something like Stunnel (www.stunnel.org) on the client to
connect to the proxy, then have the browser use 127.0.0.1 as the proxy
server.

This is just a suggestion - I have not tried this exact setup, so I can't
say for sure if it will work.

Adam