RE: [squid-users] Client "Configuration"

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:09:43 +0200

> Hey all,
>
> I'm new to squid. Would it be possible to set squid
> between my network
> and my border router and just grab ALL the traffic headed to
> the web or web
> related services(given port numbers etc...)? I am trying to
> get away from
> relying on network nodes to be configured properly. If I can
> get everything
> fresh off the wire then I don't need to worry about client
> configuration.

  Transparant proxing has disadvantages as has been discussed many
times (check the archives).

Basically and also , for instance, the concept is not even valid
for specific parts of our Intranet. In manufacturing parts of the
company several vlans exists with some limited 'default-routing' so to speak.
In such circumstances the idea that a box or a browser has a default
path to the outside world is no longer valid.

Yet sometimes devices or machines need software updates through http.
Even like engines and pumps. In that case we can mostly give them
access to the squid box, which is on another part of the Intranet and that
works.
So in these 'parts of our Intranet the concept of transparant proxying
is no longer valid and 'collapses'.

M.