RE: [squid-users] RAID setup for squid

From: Scott Phalen <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:58:56 -0500

Out of the FAQ............

3.11 Is it okay to use separate drives and RAID on Squid?
RAID1 is fine, and so are separate drives.
RAID0 (striping) with Squid only gives you the drawback that if you lose one
of the drives the whole stripe set is lost. There is no benefit in
performance as Squid already distributes the load on the drives quite
nicely.
Squid is the worst case application for RAID5, whether hardware or software,
and will absolutely kill the performance of a RAID5. Once the cache has been
filled Squid uses a lot of small random writes which the worst case workload
for RAID5, effectively reducing write speed to only little more than that of
one single drive.
Generally seek time is what you want to optimize for Squid, or more
precisely the total amount of seeks/s your system can sustain. Choosing the
right RAID solution generally decreases the amount of seeks/s your system
can sustain significantly.