[squid-users] squid.conf problem: squid doesn't use the memory at all

From: George Hong <george@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:11:45 +0800

After playing with the configuration for a whole day, I seemed to have
the problem nailed down. I changed maximum_object_size to 400000 KB
instead of 4000000 KB and it started to work.
But I found something weird and could not understand:
I removed the directories in cache_dir and issued "squid -z" to remake
them. The memory hit ratios is over 99%(via cachemanager). But when I
completed shutdown squid then started it again, the memory hit ratios
was only 30%. And I repeated the shutdown and stat over process the
memory hit ratios went lower.
Could anyone explain what happened? Do I need to remake the cache_dir
every time I restart the cache? That doesn't make sense.
Thanks a lot.
George Hong