Re: [squid-users] Squid ghost image

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:30:08 +0200

Hi,

When using Linux there are several options to achieve "ghosting":

1. Boot a live-/rescue-system, mount the HDD and an NFS-Share, use cp
-a. Use the same method on the destination system after
partitioning/formatting. Mind the bootloader and don't forget to change
the machines identity.

2. Use systemimager. You may have problems with brand new hardware.
Should work with debian, but can be used with SuSE as well - needs a bit
of work though. Uses rsync, but in general it is an automated version of
method 1.)

3. Use an automated setup procedure. FAI for debian, Autoyast for SuSE,
?? for Redhat, Jumpstart for Solaris, whatever.

4. Try a newer ghost version. It may have an improved support for
linux-filesystems.

Regards, Hendrik.