RE: [squid-users] Squid ghost image

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:03:36 -0400

We've got it all documented, now are just looking for a way to get an image
of the drive so it can be reproduced quickly on additional systems as well
as be used in case something happens to a drive on an existing system. I see
it taking longer to actually go through the system making sure it is locked
down than to do the install of squid and copy the redirector and squid.conf
files to the server. The systems are cheap enough that we'll have a spare
system sitting on a shelf and while we could just rebuild a new system in an
hour or so it would be nice to have a CD that could be slapped in and have a
locked down configured system in place real quick. We last tried to use
Symantec's Ghost software when we ran into the problem of ending up with a
40gb image. Looks like we'll have to do a test run..I just checked with our
network guys and we are on version 7 now. Here's additional info if anyone
is wondering:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999021909463125

It won't be for a week or two until I've finished testing things, have
locked down the box, and have a chance to ghost the image, but if anyone is
interested I'll post back with how we made out. Our thinking is these boxes
don't hold any changing data, so ghosting them is the best means of disaster
recovery for us. Maximum downtime would be the time to reapply the image and
possibly change some network config options for proper placement in
whichever section of the DMZ the server will be going in.

Chris Perreault