RE: [squid-users] Client "Configuration"

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:52:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 Wayne.Fielder@ky.gov wrote:

> I'm sorta wondering though...since there is an RFC for this...why couldn't
> we do it with our equipment(popular, name brand, standard compliant)? not
> that it matters because *THEY* won't let *US* even look at the &%#$! router
> configs...{deep breath...10...9..8...7...}

Ask your router guys to policy route port 80 to your cache servers,
indicating to them that if supported by the router WCCP v1 can be used.

WCCP is just means of getting the traffic to the proxy server. It is not
the only means of doing so. But in all transparent proxy setups you need
to have the traffic delivered by the routers to the cache box somehow,
either by configuration or by physical means (cabling, placing the cache
on the wire between routers, acting as a bridge..)