RE: [squid-users] Ldap and ssl on transparant proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:10:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Chris Perreault wrote:

> I must have missed the detail somewhere. I went from scouring the web, to
> picking up the Squid the Definitive Guide, to joining this list, to
> searching more, then finally deciding we were better off paying one of the
> knowleable consultants out there (listed on squid-cache.org). We went with
> squid3.0PRE3 which introduced even stranger concepts to me:)

It is a strange beast ;-)

> Not sure what happened to that auth_on_acceleration or if its included
> in the source now, but the approach we ended up taking either is a
> complicated way of doing it or really drove home how important it was
> for us to have someone who knew what they were doing assisting us:)

Squid-3 is not plauged by the same authentication issues wrt
acceleration as Squid-2 is. It works right out of the box.

In a Squid-3 setup you should not need any more than

a) Define the port(s) where Squid should listen for requests
(http_port/https_port) and their properties.

b) Define servers where Squid should forward requests using the cache_peer
directive.

c) Configure authentication using the auth_param directive, and maybe
cache_peer_access if you have multiple servers for different content.

d) Set up access controls in http_access allowing access to what should be
allowed to who should be allowed to see it.

But be warned that Squid-3.0 is still in development and not yet
considered ready for production use. If you use Squid-3.0 you should be
using the nightly snapshots, the PRE3 release is quite dated and there has
been very many bugfixes since then..

> And looking at my subject line above...I messed that up because it isn't a
> transparent proxy, its an accelerated proxy..doh.

This was pretty clear from your message. Don't worry.