[squid-users] Squid RHS DNSBL Redirector available. Not for the squeamish!

From: Support ePaxsys/FRWS <support@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:37:40 -0600

Hi all

Awhile back I asked on the list about a DNSBL Squid redirector that could
be used to make filtering content more efficient, and your Squid more
responsive while still using large URL and block lists. There was none.

So we made one from a redirector already available.
If you have an interest in this, its at:
http://www.epaxsys.net/squid_block

Its released to the world via GPL and you can use, abuse, modify and
otherwise fidget as you see fit.

The README file there explains the majority of it, the why's and how's. A
familiarity with DNS and DNSBLs is helpful, but not needed if you can
follow instructions, both from that file and the RBLDNSD people (docs are
scarce there!).

Enjoy, feedback is appreciated. It works here (has been for a few months)
and has improved our situation. The folks it will help the most are those
with slower CPUs and/or limited memory needing to use bulky perl or other
scripts to manage and use large block lists. The rest of us benefit can
from ease of use and maintenance, and a less resource intensive Squid.

Enough of that! Just read about it.

Regards
Jerome

ePaxsys/FRWS Technical Staff