RE: [squid-users] Re: Implementation issues

From: Chris Perreault <Chris.Perreault@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:02:23 -0400

Doh, there is a referer_regex ACL type, but I don't see that helping here
anyways.

1)Browser wants to visit website.com and hits the proxy.
2)Request gets redirected to the signup_disclaimer.htm website.
3)User signs up and/or logs in.
4)The page that verifies the username/password then redirects to the
originally requested site with the login information stored in the correct
header. (via the proxy)
5) the proxy sees the refering site and proxies the request.

A better 5) would be squid sees it has an already authenticated request so
passes it through. Otherwise the user would have to log in, on the
disclaimer page, every time they clicked a link. Open a new window/session
though and then the user would have to log in again.

Hopefully my ramblings help Rick out. I see a loop happening though. If
proxy_auth is required, the user gets the pop up window, even if they don't
have an account yet. Once they visit the login page, that page should be
able to write/create the http_proxy_authorization header.
I don't see how to redirect the user if they are not auth'd yet without
redirecting them when they are auth'd later so it looks like they are stuck
with the logon prompt and only get to the disclaimer/login page when they
fail to authenticate.

Chris Perreault