[squid-users] Re: Squid 2.5.STABLE6 transparent authentication question

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:21:41 -0400

stephanos.kotsakis@weil.com wrote:

> My current setup is Squid 2.5.STABLE5 and Samba 3.0.4-1 On RedHat Linux
> 9.0. Transparent authentication with AD clients using IE was setup using
> Samba helpers as specified in the Squid documentation.

For future reference, you are using NTLM authentication, which IE makes
transparent to the end user. "Transparent authentication" does not exist -
transparent proxying cannot be combined with authentication.

> Things were working fine until the proxy was placed under a heavy load,
> then I started receiving the assertion failed: helper.c:323 error in my
> cache.log and the squid service kept restarting.

> I want to upgrade to Squid 2.5.STABLE6 but I am confused about the
> helpers, ntlm_auth that we use for transparent authentication, do I
> continue to use the ones from the Samba package or after installing Squid
> 2.5.STABLE6 can I now use the ones that come with squid?

Continue to use the Samba helpers. The Squid helpers are only used with
Samba 2.2.x.

[email disclaimer snipped]

If it is possible to turn off that disclaimer when posting to public mailing
lists, please do so. Besides wasting space and potentially annoying list
members, the disclaimer is rather pointless when posted to a public forum.

Adam