Re: [squid-users] How to increase TCP-HIT ratio

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:03:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Michal Weinfurtner wrote:

> Elsen Marc wrote:
>
> > > I have two questions.
> > > I discovered cache manager outputs and found that just 5-7% of hits
> > > are served from cache. It is to few. I there any way to increase this
> > > ratio ? My config is bellow.
> > >

> > Your cache size is 500Mb. Depending on number of users and their
> > webprofile , it could be that the cache size is too small.
> > Rule of thumb : cache size should be around the traffic generated by
> > users for one week.
> > However check the SQUID FAQ on phys mem. requirements versus the total size
> > of the configured cache dir(s) too.
> >
> Thanks to answer. But cache manager says, usage of physical cache memory (
> cache size ) is about 66%. 33% of cache size is free. Anyway, i will try to
> increase cache size. I have tried to read FAQ obout mem. requirements but
> don't understand well :-(
>
> My worst problem is about images. I realy don't have any idea, why some images
> are not loaded :-( Do You think taht cache size a memory uasge can be a reason

As an aside, you may want to check the configuration of a browser that
fails to load the images. Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, etc. have
a "security" feature that prohibits the loading of images that come from a
web site other than that of the page being displayed. If this is enabled,
Squid will not be sent the request until the user clicks on the "broken"
image symbol.

One site that I rcall exhibiting this behaviour was www.cnn.com. They had
separate servers for the page images.

Merton Campbell Crockett