Re: [squid-users] How to increase TCP-HIT ratio

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:55:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Michal Weinfurtner wrote:

> Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Michal Weinfurtner wrote:
> >I believe that MSIE uses the small red-cross in a square to indicate that
> >it did not or failed to download the content. If you have access to a
> >system that exhibits this behaviour, I would suggest grep'ping the
> >access.log for requests from this system to see if it requested the
> >content that should have been displayed. The status associated with the
> >request in the access.log should provide you a hint as to the root cause
> >of the problem.
> >

> I did it same way. Collegue send me exact time and URL, when it happen
> to him, and i cannot see his URL in logs at that time. I see it later
> with 200 status, after he click on show picture. There is no log entries
> about timedout in access.log :-( that is, what i can't understand. As I
> said, it happens sometimes on same pages, www.redhat.com , www.yahoo.com
> www.seznam.cz, www.gentoo.org everywhere but sometimes.

I use the Mozilla web browser. Under Preferences > Privacy & Security, I
selected the Images tab and changed the setting to only load images from
the originating server. Then, I used the following URL.

        http://www.seznam.cz

The image to the left of "Prezident jmenoval..." was not displayed. The
background image of what reminds me of an old Messerschmitt auto wasn't
displayed. The logo for seznam wasn't displayed.

Doing the same with http://www.yahoo.com, all of the images that would
have come from us.ard.yahoo.com are not displayed.

Therefore, one possibility is that a security setting prevents the image
from being loaded when it is requested from a different web server.

Another possibility is a missing content-length. The request can't be
completed until a timeout occurs. Often in this case, the content is only
displayed after a browser refresh.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard