Re: [squid-users] load balancing

From: Mohsin Khan <aaghaz00@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:50:40 -0700 (PDT)

LVS can be placed on the same server, but it is good
if you a new Linux Box for it, I am not sure but last
time I used it, I need to recompile the kernel. Please
do check with the latest Docs.

And why can not you do the Roundrobin. It is always a
good option. And yeah most convinient, you can use a
PAC file.
--- Jeff Donovan <donovan@beth.k12.pa.us> wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Jeff Donovan wrote:
> >
> >> I'm running a transparent cache with squid guard.
> My problem seems to
> >> be How do I split my traffic?
> >
> > This you do in your router in case of
> transparently intercepting
> > proxies..
> > If you are not using a TCP interception device
> capable of tracking
> > individual connections then this is most easily
> done by splitting the
> > destination IP address space among the caches.
> CARP does so
> > automatically
> > for you.
> >
> >> or how do i create a failover if one squid server
> becomes to busy?
> >
> > best done by an external load balancer. Linux
> Virtual Server is a good
> > free one, highend routers & switches usually also
> have reasonable load
> > balancing functions built in.
> >

> would this be a placed on a linux server in front of
> the two cache's or
> does it run on the same device as squid?
>
> Unfortunately my layer 3 switch does not allow for
> multiple default
> routes or even a policy route. Otherwise i would
> have just routed my
> traffic to the new interface.
> -j
> jeff donovan
> basd network operations
> (610) 807 5571 x41
> AIM xtdonovan

=====
Regards,
Mohsin Khan
CCNA ( Cisco Certified Network Associate 2.0 )
http://pk.aaghaz.net