Re: [squid-users] some questions

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:10:38 +0200

On 27.07 08:29, johon Doe wrote:
> Hi, I'm a new squid user.
> I have some problem to configure it.
> Well the server is inside a lan of 70-100 pc and the
> traffic should be quiet low (600MB per day)
> Those are the problems:

> 1) I'd like to cache some html static pages so that i
> used the refresh_pattern tag:
> refresh_pattern -i html$ 3880 100% 43200
> override-lastmod reload-into-ims
> refresh_pattern -i htm$ 3880 100% 43200
> override-lastmod reload-into-ims
> but it doesn't work.

I don't think you should modify refresh_pattern nor play with
reload-into-ims to have better caching. Squid caches the content good
enough without playing with these options.

> 2) the squid dedicated partition is about of 70GB with
> 50GB limited to squid. I read around the net of about
> a much more less partition. So the question is: it's a
> bad idea use a so big partition only for squid ? (the
> server should be only a proxy+iptables machine)

It's good. However, much better would be using dedicated disk for squid,
because you can expect high load on the disk.

> 3) Also the tag:
> reply_body_max_size 2000 deny lan
> seems doesn't work... any suggestions ?

what do you want to achieve using this config option?
I don't see the 'lan' acl in config below.

> 4) I'd like to have some advice about the following
> squid.conf file (the server hardware is duron900 with
> 512MB and 80GB of hd ATA100.

> cache_mem 96 MB
> high_memory_warning 120 MB

Please read the squid FAQ, especially memory needs.
Squid will hold much metadata in memory, for 70GB it
would be much much more than 120MB, not counting the 96MB for cache_mem.
on 512MB machine dedicated to squid and iptables, I'd let squid use up to
384 MB of ram (high_memory_warning 384 MB).

But our proxy with 2510349 files (~30GB of data) causes squid eat ~256MB
on startup, so you can expect double that ram for metadata only. So you
should either decrease cache to ~20GB, or you should at least double your
RAM, "reserver" 128MB for OS and the rest and use that number for
high_memory_warning. After a week you will see if you can set the
cache_mem higher.

Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.