[squid-users] Howto get squid proxy authentication working on ipchains firewall

From: Manie Esterhuizen <manie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:32:14 +0200

Hi all

I have got this problem. I have setup 2 pc's with 2 network cards each,
running ipchains firewall. Everything is working fine. Then I installed
squid on both pc's. Now everyone on the private lan can brows the
internet using squid.(The 2 linux boxes with ipchains and squid are on 2
different networks)

The next step was to get squid authentication to work using ncsa_auth
and htpasswd file.

The moment I enable proxy auth. I see in the access.log file that squid
is denying access to the internet no matter what site you want to go to.
This is happening on both boxes.

To test if my config of squid and proxy auth was correct I installed
squid onto a third linux box with NO ipchains config on it. Setup the
proxy auth and it worked first time.

So my question is whay is it not working on the ipchains firewall box ?.

Please HELP

P.S. I'm running Debian Linux.