Re: squid reload

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:42:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Ej wrote:

> Hello squid-dev,

This question belongs on squid-users, not squid-dev.

> I have script. It checks for user's traffic, script written on C. If
> user had more traff than his limit, then script reload squid
> (SYSTEM(/ETC/INIT.D/SQUID RELOAD)). Some times it works, but when
> squid is very busy, it doen't answer on that signal. I read about
> squid -k reconfigure. What diffrences between SQUID RELOAD and SQUID
> -k reconfigure, and will it work? Please tell me ways, how I can
> reload SQUID.

/etc/init.d/squid is a init.d style wrapper around the Squid binary and
has different usage than Squid. The functions of this init wrapper depends
on what flavor of init wrapper you use, but usually "init.d/squid reload"
runs "sbin/squid -k reconfigure".

So far I have not heard of any situation where "squid -k reconfigure" does
not work due to Squid beeing too buzy, but you should not execute this
very frequently. It takes some time for Squid to change to the new
configuration and a additional "squid -k reconfigure" while the first
is still being processed may be ignored. See your cache.log file.