Re: [squid-users] DNS

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:10:56 +0200

> I am running Squid 2.5 STABLE 6 over Linux Enterprise 3 on IBM 345
> Series Server having 1 GM ram.
>
> Should I use internal DNS of squid for squid and my Internet Users? Or
> DNS should be on separate machine, I guess with 1 GB ram, it won't be a
> problem to use internal one, Squid handles about 50 requests / sec in
> peak times.

A lot of performance guides recommend a caching dns on the squid server,
as it
reduces the load on the network and your dns.
A caching only bind is easy to setup, at least if you use a precompiled
package, so I installed one just to check the difference.
In my case it did not really improve performance measurably. Depends on
the load, I guess. System load is average (8...10GB traffic/day).
The seperate DNS used before via /etc/resolv.conf (and I still use them
now as forwarders) have a fast network link to the squid machine and a
decent performance.
It may be different if you have to use an probably overloaded ISP dns.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer