[squid-users] conf squid to use a specific interface

From: Wayne Cox <wmc20@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:12:43 -0400

Hi All,
Running Squid 2.5-4 on a FreeBSD system.

I'd like to know how to [if possible] configure Squid to use one specific
ethernet interface in the machine for outbound traffic to destination web
sites? I have tried using "tcp_outgoing_address 12.219.10.10" but it
doesn't seem to be working. Am I even on the right track with that one?

The primary NIC in the machine is connected to our LAN, along with the
client PCs and the router that the machine's default route points to. The
secondary NIC is connected to cheap incoming bandwidth from the cable
company. I'd like to have Squid pulling in the requested web traffic over
the secondary NIC only, to off-load our primary connection.

Squid works ok, and serves and caches clients' requests just fine if I let
it use the default interface. After adding the tcp_outgoing_address, the
client web browser hangs for a minute or so, then displays a message from
Squid:

<quote>
ERROR
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.whatever.net
The following error was encountered:
Connection Failed
The system returned:
     (61) Connection refused
The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.
</quote>

Any suggestions?

Config options of interest are:
http_port 208.62.177.40:3128 [the primary connection, and default route]
tcp_outgoing_address 12.219.10.10 [the 2nd NIC I want to use]

-Thanks,
       WC