Re: [squid-users] log server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:52:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Christoph Haas wrote:

> You can buy it. Perl's speed is probably somewhere between C and shell.
> But using File::Tail and sending 120 log lines per second to another
> server is quite time consuming.

Is still do not buy it.. just ran a test of the perl program I sent
earlier and at 200 log records/s with each record 1000 bytes long sending
the logs to a remote host the perl script consumes 0.1% CPU on my old
laptop (P3 533) or barely noticeable CPU consumption.

> The charme of UDP. :) Until the Squid dev team will offer syslog I think
> NFS is the best solution.

NFS is a nightmare, and also does not solve the problem asked as you can
not have two Squids write to the same NFS mounted access log without
looking for big disaster in your log data. Not to mention that your proxy
will halt immediately if there is NFS communication problems making your
NFS server and the network to it a single point of failure.