Re: [squid-users] log server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:35:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Christoph Haas wrote:

> But I'd like to bite back: why doesn't Squid offer to forward access.log
> entries via syslog?

Because none of the developers need this and we do not consider the
unreliable transport of syslog as suitable for proxy access log
information.

But patches are welcome, certainly to the Squid-3 code base.

What is planned for Squid-3 but not yet completed is the ability to log
via a pipe to an external program.

> Lemma: Every decent network daemon can log to syslog! ;)

Not that many actually, at least not in the category where the Squid
access log belongs..