[squid-users] forwarding requests to a parent proxy outside local network

From: PraktikantMPI Toni (MPI) <Toni.PraktikantMPI@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:36:20 +0200

Hi all,

I have set up a Squid Proxy as child proxy in a LAN. It should forward all http requests (which are not directed to the LAN => this is nonrelevant for my problem) to a proxy outside the LAN.
This proxy belongs a third party provider, it is a "black box"for me, i have no access to and no information about this machine.
The only thing I know about this machine is the ip address and the port on that it waits for http requests.

My problem is that the child proxy not just forwards http-requests to the parent, it first makes dns-requests which are dropped by the firewall.
So I built squid with the option --disable-internal-dns, tried "never_direct allow all"in squid.conf and started squid with 'squid -NCDd1', but this just loads a new error page "Unable to forward this request at this time. ALL configured parent caches are currently unreachable".

In squid.conf I added the parent proxy with its ip-address:

http_port 143.113.4.1:3128

icp_port 0

cache_peer 10.19.10.1 parent 80 0

hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?

acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache deny QUERY

cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/var/cache 100 16 256

auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl SSL_ports port 443 563
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 563 # https, snews
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl CONNECT method CONNECT

http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager

http_access deny !Safe_ports

http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports

acl vlan4 src 143.113.4.0/24
acl tcn src 143.1.0.0/16
http_access allow vlan4
http_access allow tcn

http_access deny all

http_reply_access allow all

icp_access deny all

never_direct allow all

coredump_dir /usr/local/squid/var/cache

Is there anything wrong with this config ? (I am running squid 2.5stable6)

Why can be the reason that the parent can't be reached from the child ? When I open a web broser on this machine I can connect to the parent, so shouldn't it be possible for the proxy on this machine as well ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Jens Bauer