Re: [squid-users] Cache Microsoft Downloads

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:56:18 +0200

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 01:27:11PM -0400, Lucas, David wrote:
> I'm sorry it this was asked already, I looked in the archives but didn't
> see anything.

In fact it's an FAQ because many people like to cache Windoze Update.
The Update site is not only completely non-W3C-standard but also
delivers no caching information. You may verify this by putting the URLs
in question into this form:

http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py

IMHO you can't force Squid to cache something that wasn't meant to be
cached.

> If anyone has any suggestions on how I may go about doing this it'll
> help me greatly.

If you feel you want to do it the Microsoft way you may ask your key
account tie-carrier to sell you the SUS (software update service)
server that deploys the daily updates to your clients.

 Christoph

--
~
~