Re: [squid-users] Hard Drive Latency

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:31:10 -0500

James Gray wrote:

> Is there anything to be gained by switching to AUFS in a SCSI RAID 0+1
> (real hardware RAID with 64MB cache etc) environment? How long is a
> piece of string....I know - just curious from a "theoretical" point of
> view.
>
> We often see system (i.e., not "nice" or "user") utilisation go up under
> heavy Squid load on FreeBSD, but I can't say whether or not this results
> in a noticeable performance degradation - we've never measured it and
> the users haven't complained (about proxy performance anyway).

FreeBSD is not a supported environment for AUFS, as far as I know. You
would use diskd instead, but it doesn't do anything on a single device
system, as I assume you have. AUFS on a single disk system does make a
measurable difference (regardless of controller and RAID).

RAID of any sort is usually not recommended for Squid if performance
matters to you at all.