Re: [squid-users] Hard Drive Latency

From: James Gray <james_gray@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:35:10 +1000

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Matt wrote:
>
>>> The "aufs" cache_dir type automatically tries to do this when the
>>> harddrive
>>> I/O load is too high.
>>

>> Is "aufs" type less stable then "ufs"?
>

> Not that I know of.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Is there anything to be gained by switching to AUFS in a SCSI RAID 0+1
(real hardware RAID with 64MB cache etc) environment? How long is a
piece of string....I know - just curious from a "theoretical" point of view.

We often see system (i.e., not "nice" or "user") utilisation go up under
heavy Squid load on FreeBSD, but I can't say whether or not this results
in a noticeable performance degradation - we've never measured it and
the users haven't complained (about proxy performance anyway).

-- James