Re: [squid-users] maximum inbound/outbound connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:20:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Jeffrey P. wrote:

> I'm installing and configuring squid-2.5.STABLE6 on Redhat Enterprise (2.4.21
> kernel).

Don't forget to look in the patches section...

> I'm trying to determine the system-wide maximum number of inbound and
> outbound connections squid will handle.

This depends on a number of factors, where the main factors are

   * Number of filedescriptors you have built Squid to support
     (see FAQ)
   * Number of request/s your system is to sustain.

> From what I've read there seems to be no squid configuration option
> controlling the maximum number of outbound connections (squid -> content
> server). The maximum number of outbound connections is determined by the OS
> (the maximum number of open file descriptors via ulimit).

Correct. Squid opens as many outbound connections as it needs to resolve
the client requests.

> For inbound connections (client -> squid) the maxconn per-client acl can
> control the maximum connections for a particular client but it seems that
> limiting the system-wide max inbound connections, just like the max outbound
> connections, falls to the OS.

Correct.

Your Squid basically needs to be allowed to open as many connections as
required by your client load in order to function properly. If not some of
your clients will effectively be denied service, to your users looking
like the proxy service randomly hangs or feels sluggish. Squid will also
complain loudly in cache.log if this happens.