[squid-users] maximum inbound/outbound connections

From: Jeffrey P. <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:29:38 -0700

Greetings,

Just looking for a little affirmation here :-)

I'm installing and configuring squid-2.5.STABLE6 on Redhat Enterprise
(2.4.21 kernel).

I'm trying to determine the system-wide maximum number of inbound and
outbound connections squid will handle.

 From what I've read there seems to be no squid configuration option
controlling the maximum number of outbound connections (squid ->
content server). The maximum number of outbound connections is
determined by the OS (the maximum number of open file descriptors via
ulimit).

For inbound connections (client -> squid) the maxconn per-client acl
can control the maximum connections for a particular client but it
seems that limiting the system-wide max inbound connections, just
like the max outbound connections, falls to the OS.

Can someone confirm or correct my thinking about the max inbound and
outbound connections?

Thanks,

jeff