Re: [squid-users] chrooting: why and how?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:49:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> I noticed that there's the option to "chroot" my squid.
> Now, which benefits could I get from this configuration?

Added security should there be a security issue in Squid.

> What should I be doing/configuring for getting "chroot" to work in squid?

Very little if using the chroot_dir directive. If your Squid is not using
any helpers then all you need to do is to set up the directory structure
including create a dev/null node, set the chroot_dir directive and start
Squid.

If your Squid is using helpers then any files required by these helpers
must also exist within the chroot directory structure, just as is needed
when setting up manual chroots using the chroot command.