Re: [squid-users] Problems with ntlm authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:38:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 teddy.saporte@snecma.fr wrote:

> I want to make a proxy from windows user to another proxy. The other proxy
> made authentication with Windows ID. I want to make an automatic
> authentication when a client use Internet Explorer. I don't want that
> users must send their personnal ID manually for squid for the other proxy

NTLM or authentication can not be forwarded due to the cryptographic
design of the this authentication schemes.

If you use NTLM authentication in an environment where your Squid has to
login to a parent proxy then the connection to the parent proxy must use a
static login + password. Only if you use Basic authentication can the
end-users authentication be forwarded to the parent.