[squid-users] Getting username into squid access.log

From: Joe Kraft <hishadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:02:38 +0100

I've read so much Squid documentation that my head is spinning now. I
just want to clear up one point before I expend any more brain bytes.

If I set up squid to work transparently, ala FAQ 17.1 does than mean
that there is absolutely NO WAY I will ever be able to get squid to
figure out who is logged in at the machine that made the request? And
thus, no usernames in the access.log?

I just want to make sure that this is the behavior referenced in the
discussions about proxy-auth. So I can control access by the IP address
of the machine, but not by user. Squid is not allowed by the RFC to ask
anything back to the requesting machine, because the requester is not
expecting squid to be there in the middle. Is this correct so far?

So the least intrusive way to make this work, and to have the names to
to not use squid in a transparent mode and use the automatic
configuration script from FAQ 5.2?

Thanks,
Joe.