Re: [squid-users] Newbie question: squid performance

From: Sam Currie <sam.currie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:04:22 +1000

Hi Satya,

By todays standards, 25% byte hit ratio is pretty good. Very good
rates usually top out at about 30-35% and many sites only get around
15%. Hit ratios are really dependant on what sites your users are
using.

If you have many users accessing the same few web sites day in day
out, you will see higher hit rates. The bandwidth you have to your
site dose not really have any effect on your hit rations.

Many of us these days run a cache for improved web performance with
web hits as a secondary priority. As Squid is so reliable, runs on
minimal hardware and has virtually no management overhead, even
getting a 10% hit rate make it worthwhile.

At my site we are getting about 20% and we are happy with that. We
have a 7 gig cache and we have have about 10 gig a month in http
traffic. But if we configure our browsers to bypass Squid, users do
notice and they do complain!

From a config point of view though, GDSF achieves the highest object
hit ratio, not byte hit ratio. To achieve higher byte hit ratio you
could try using either LFUDA or LRU. For my users I find the original
LRU works best.

Cheers,

-Sam