[squid-users] Squid eating up all CPU

From: Raymond A. Meijer <rmeijer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:30:21 +0300

Hi,

I have an interesting problem. I've been running Squid for a long time now on
my workstation with its cache directories on a Reiser4 partition.

Since Reiser4 has been stable for some time now, I decided to reformat my
other partitions (except / which is Ext3) to Reiser4 as well.

Everything seems to work well, except..the Squid process is eating up all CPU:

 4787 proxy 39 0 45700 10m 2580 R 87.7 1.4 7:12.94 squid

This happens even when there are no connections made through Squid!

My machine is a Pentium4 1.8GHz with 768MB RAM and 2 WD 40GB HDDs.

It's running Debian Testing with the following Squid (related) packages
installed:

ii squid 2.5.6-8
ii squid-cgi 2.5.6-8
ii squid-common 2.5.6-8
ii squid-prefetch 0.7-1
ii squidclient 2.5.6-8
ii adzapper 20040408-1

Kernel 2.6.8.1-cko5 is being used.

Squid was working fine, with low CPU usage, for many months. I've rebooted the
machine several times in the past (before converting the system partitions to
Reiser4) and Squid never displayed this behaviour before.

I don't see anything relevant in the Squid log files or in the syslog.

Where do I start the troubleshooting process? Has anybody seen this before?

Please let me know what other information you'd need.

Thanks,

Ray